Possible solution to the Windows AtomicParsley crashes?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 17:36:49 EDT 2011

On 09/10/2011 08:39, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> it has pid=p00kdr09. With the workaround suggested, AP (latest binary)
> tags the m4a file, but only
> PARTIALLY: The "Comment" and "©lyr" fields (in MediaInfo) contain only
> the first word of the
> description, i.e. "Were" (???).

Man, when it rains it pours.  It appears that the embedded double quotes
in tag values are causing the trouble.  This problem is limited to
Windows, naturally.  I think what's happening is that Perl sees the
embedded double quotes as shell metacharacters and hands off
AtomicParsley execution to the Windows shell (cmd.exe).  In that case,
the embedded quotes must be escaped and the parameter value enclosed in
an outer pair of double quotes to satisfy cmd.exe quoting rules and
preserve the original value.  Without the enclosing quotes, only the
first word of the parameter value is interpreted as the tag value
written to the file, which squares with your results.  Maybe someone
else with more Win32 Perl-fu can offer a better explanation, but that's
what it looks like to me.

My inclination is to uniformly convert all embedded double quotes in tag
values to single quotes, rather than implement some special handling for
Windows.  I'll post a patch to do that unless someone can tell me why
it's not a good idea.