Windows installer fails to download atomicparsley

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Tue Nov 8 08:28:26 EST 2011

On 8 November 2011 02:12, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/11/2011 22:56, Jon Davies wrote:
>>
>> I tried installed get_iplayer on my windows test system (a fresh
>> windows xp sp3 install) and the installer failed to download
>> atomicparsley, reporting a 301 error.
>
> If you're getting a 30x error, my guess is that you're using the vanilla SP3
> with IE6.  I never thought to check those redirects with IE6, but I've
> verified that it breaks the AtomicParsley download. The installer plugin
> uses Wininet under the hood, and I think there were problems with redirects
> from unsecure to secure URLs pre-SP3. I guess those problems persisted into
> SP3.  Upgrading to IE7 or IE8 (which also updates Wininet) resolves the
> issue.

Ah, I never thought to check with a different version of IE.  For
reference, my test system (a virtual machine) is Win XP SP3, all
hotfixes, but IE6 (I didn't install IE7 or 8).  Since IE8 is deployed
as a security fix, and IE6 is known to be insecure, I'd be inclined to
note that the install doesn't work with IE6 and leave it there, with
"upgrade" being the resolution.  As far as I am aware no actual user
has had a problem with this ;-)

Jon