Windows installer fails to download atomicparsley

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:12:45 EST 2011

On 07/11/2011 22:56, Jon Davies wrote:
> I tried installed get_iplayer on my windows test system (a fresh
> windows xp sp3 install) and the installer failed to download
> atomicparsley, reporting a 301 error.
>
> I suppose the ideal fix would be for the installer to follow
> redirects, but until that works changing the host part of the url for
> atomicparsley to cdn.bitbucket.org will fix the problem.

That shouldn't be necessary per se.  The installer will follow redirects
so long as the initial URL uses the http scheme (a limitation of the
NSIS download plugin).  Those BitBucket redirects have always been in
place, and the installer still works OK here (but see below).

If you're getting a 30x error, my guess is that you're using the vanilla
SP3 with IE6.  I never thought to check those redirects with IE6, but
I've verified that it breaks the AtomicParsley download. The installer
plugin uses Wininet under the hood, and I think there were problems with
redirects from unsecure to secure URLs pre-SP3. I guess those problems
persisted into SP3.  Upgrading to IE7 or IE8 (which also updates
Wininet) resolves the issue.

As much as I hate to do it, I guess I'll change the download link to
point directly to the BitBucket CDN.  I used the website link to respect
whatever mirroring they might decide to use, but I guess it's still an
IE6 world and we're just living in it.

> (there's also a newer build of AtomicParsley there, but this shouldn't
> include anything relevant to get_iplayer - the main change is
> probably-better support for>4GB files and I can't see iplayer stuff
> getting that big anywhen soon)

Thanks for the new build, and for rejigging the build script.  I'll
leave the installer config pointing to the last build since it's now in
sync with the Ubuntu PPA version.