iPlayer 2.80 and RTMPDump "RTMP_ReadPacket" & "SWFVerification Errors" (WINDOWS)

BeANeR mat.bean at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 07:27:15 EDT 2011

Hi,...

I have a happily working installation of Get_iPlayer - Version 2.79 on one of
my computers at I recently attempted to download & install Get_iPlayer onto
my second computer (also Windows XP) using the latest installer.

I ran the installer sucessfully (well, I had to run setup twice, as
the first run
it failed on the LAME component, but that was covered in a previous mailing
list response).

However, once I attempted to download anything I was getting the following
dreaded error message : -

ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code =256)

I tried un-installing & re-installing but the problem persisted, so I
then started
looking to check the components. I downloaded the latest RTMPdump from :

http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/download/rtmpdump-20110925-git-6230845-win32.zip

And replaced the one that was downloaded with the installer.
Thus I replaced "RTMPDump 2.4 git-b627335 2011-7-23" with the newer one
"RTMPDumpe 2.4 git-6230845 2011-9-25", but still got the same error.

Next I went to my "old" working PC and grabbed the "RTMPDump-2.3" folder
under C:\Program Files\get_iplayer\ and I tried copying that folder onto my
new PC and then tried to use it with the following command line to force the
use of the copied RTMPDump-2.3 version,...

get_iplayer --type=tv --get 204 --vmode=Flashhigh --flvstreamer
"C:\Progra~1\get_iplayer\RTMPDump-2.3\rtmpdump.exe" --force

But that failed with the same error too,...

Finally I started to look at the "get_iplayer.pl" file and the
differences between
the files on my working (old V2.79) PC and failing (new V2.80) PC.

Using Notepad++ I found that on line 5789 within the section of code entitled
"# swfurl = Default iplayer swf version" the was the following difference :

(Version 2.79)
swfurl => "http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576",

(Version 2.80)
swfurl => "http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf?revision=18269_21576",

So I changed the line on my new PC to use the "old version 2.79" Swfurl and
tested again,...

It now works !!!

Although I am getting the following error error on both my old & new PC, it
simply seems to ignore it and continues to download & convert all my
selections :

ERROR: RTMP_HashSWF: couldn't contact swfurl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
Connecting,.....
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: HandleCtrl: Ignoring SWFVerification request, use --swfVry!

Thus as I understand it, the problem I was having with the "new" get_iplayer
is something to do with the "SWFVerification" that the RTMPDump is trying
to perform. Thus at present, I am luck enough that it is ignoring it with my
"old" setup.

I thought I would post all this info for others who may be experieceing similar
issues,... and with the hope someone far more technically minded than myself
may be able to explain / look into this issue.

Regards

Matthew