Is anyone else's running slooowwwwlllyyy?

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 16:08:16 EDT 2011

What the rest of us need to see is some comparative analysis of transfers
done over your connection direct, and some downloads done through a
(reliable, fast) proxy server using a VPN or SSH tunnel. If someone geeky
fancies doing some testing but is short of a good bandwidthed UK server to
route through for testing, I can give them a lend of my machine in
Maidstone. (contact me off-list if you want to organise.)

The speed test / results should then help narrow down the root cause -
whether it's poor routing, congestion in your area, obvious traffic shaping
or whether it's being done by the Beeb based on the behaviour of get_iplayer
itself. (or perhaps all four...?)

To confirm, everyone suffering is on Virgin Media cable?