"get_iplayer is not writable" error on Linux

Dave Royal yorvadale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 05:25:41 EST 2011

Here's what I did to solve this on openSUSE 11.3

Got get_iplayer-2.79-1.pm.2.1.noarch from packman
Release : 1.pm.2.1 Build Date: Sat 15 Jan 2011 12:53:30 GMT

Running it gave me:
WARNING: Running the updater again to obtain plugins.
ERROR: get_iplayer is not writable - aborting update (maybe a package
manager was used to install get_iplayer?)

Most advice on this suggests it's a permissions problem and/or you have
to run as root. Neither worked for me.

I also tried this option
--packagemanager rpm

In the end I fixed it by commenting out the section of the script starting:
# Force plugins update if no plugins found

I'm now running it with --packagemanager rpm in my preset - though I
don't think that makes a difference unless I were to use an update option.

HTH

Dave