Annoying download problem

fs ck fsckemail at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:55:21 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Andy Bircumshaw <andy at networkned.co.uk> wrote:
> I have no idea whether or not resuming is supposed to be supported or not. `rm -i *partial*` (or just rename it) and try again.
> Very occasionally I will find a programme to be "stubborn" and require 4 attempts or so; most times if you just delete the
> *partial* and retry it'll work fine first time.

Resuming is definitely supported by both rtmpdump and flvstreamer (and
get_iplayer) but there has always been some situations where a rtmp
stream fails and sometimes leaves the partial flv file unresumable. I
get it quite a bit in larger HD files. This is definitely a bug (might
even be a FMS bug but that's probably less likely). It would be worth
raising it on the rtmpdump mailing list with a specific example and
--debug dump if anyone is able to capture one.

If I am really keen on getting a program sooner I have done this:

1) Manually convert the partial flv file to mp4 and rename it.
2) Run get_iplayer again stating a --start offset in seconds from
where the previous attempt failed.