Annoying download problem

fs ck fsckemail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 08:20:18 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Andy Bircumshaw <andy at networkned.co.uk> wrote:
> It seems more by accident than design - a "we wrote the code wrong" bug, rather than a "the code broke" bug

I can see your point. I guess I have a different opinion to yours on
what constitutes a 'bug'. My definition is that a bug is where the
software behaves differently than it's intended or documented design;
My point was that the --pid option behaves as described regardless of
it being inconsistent with how we may like it to be ;-)

> ... arguably illustrative of how get_iplayer is too complex and tries to do too much.

Yes, it seems that every feature under the sun is in there but
thankfully hidden to users unless you dare venture to use --long-help
option!!  This type of organic feature growth is not uncommon for
community driven open source software using the fast'n'frequent
release model without a software roadmap of sorts. Especially for
command-line tools where adding new options is all too easy.

IMHO, the main reason that this is considered 'too complex' for some
is because this might be the first adventure into the command-line
world for GUI-oriented Windows users. For many Linux command-line
veterans such a command is instead described as 'powerful' ;-) I think
it just depends on your background.