Annoying download problem

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 13:12:35 EST 2011

On 7/1/2011, at 5:45pm, Robin Bowes wrote:

> On 07/01/11 17:19, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:
>>
>> 346 is *not* the program ID ("PID").
>>
>> The PID may be found with `get_iplayer --info` ("-i" for short). EG:
>>
>> $ get_iplayer hoot -i | grep pid: pid:            b00wvjdq
>
> OK - wrong terminology.

No problem. I'm just stating this to help improve future communication.

>> Anyway, this a clupea rubra ...
>
> OK, so the download failures and the "Local index number" changes are
> not related?

Yes. All members of the clupea genus are herrings - clupea rosa, clupea rubra, clupea roseus, clupea rutilus, clupea atrosanguineus and clupea aureus are just some examples. The clupea scarlata is particularly bright.

The greater clupeidae family encompasses not only herring but shads and sardines, too.

>> I have no idea whether or not resuming is supposed to be supported or
>> not. `rm -i *partial*` (or just rename it) and try again. Very
>> occasionally I will find a programme to be "stubborn" and require 4
>> attempts or so; most times if you just delete the *partial* and retry
>> it'll work fine first time.
>
> I had a hell of a job getting the HD version of Hootenany to download. I
> eventually got it today in one download, ie. it started and finished
> without failing.
>
> Generally I'm grabbing shorter stuff for the kids and have not had any
> problems. I'll monitor the situation if I grab anything large again.

I probably get more than one failure in 10 programme downloads, and cannot leave get_iplayer completely unattended. I wonder if my new router will improve matters.

It's interesting that you mention "large" downloads, as the failures I have seem perhaps more prevalent amongst HD versions. I'll have to keep an eye on this, too.

> PS. Another annoying problem is that I'm not seeing my replies to the
> list, ie. I can se my reply in the archive, and I see the replies to my
> reply, but my actually reply does not drop in my inbox. I've checked my
> mailman settings and it appears to be set correctly. Any ideas why this
> might be?

No idea, try emailing David.

aB.