Annoying download problem

Robin Bowes robin.bowes at yo61.com
Fri Jan 7 12:45:57 EST 2011

On 07/01/11 17:19, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:

> 346 is *not* the program ID ("PID").
>
> The PID may be found with `get_iplayer --info` ("-i" for short). EG:
>
> $ get_iplayer hoot -i | grep pid: pid:            b00wvjdq

OK - wrong terminology.

> Anyway, this a clupea rubra - the "Matches: " number you're referring
> to (346 in this case) might best be termed the "local index number",
> and it's prone to change any time the BBC add a programme to iPlayer
> (and you refresh get_iplayer's cache). This local index number won't
> change halfway through a download, but it wouldn't affect the
> download even if it did (I guess some exceptions may apply to this
> statement, but if you encounter them then you're probably "using
> get_iplayer wrong").

OK, so the download failures and the "Local index number" changes are
not related?

> I have no idea whether or not resuming is supposed to be supported or
> not. `rm -i *partial*` (or just rename it) and try again. Very
> occasionally I will find a programme to be "stubborn" and require 4
> attempts or so; most times if you just delete the *partial* and retry
> it'll work fine first time.

I had a hell of a job getting the HD version of Hootenany to download. I
eventually got it today in one download, ie. it started and finished
without failing.

Generally I'm grabbing shorter stuff for the kids and have not had any
problems. I'll monitor the situation if I grab anything large again.

Thanks,

R.

PS. Another annoying problem is that I'm not seeing my replies to the
list, ie. I can se my reply in the archive, and I see the replies to my
reply, but my actually reply does not drop in my inbox. I've checked my
mailman settings and it appears to be set correctly. Any ideas why this
might be?