Thumbnails, filenames, etc

Bill Denton dentonwe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 07:32:23 EST 2011

On 6 January 2011 23:08, Andy Bircumshaw <andy at networkned.co.uk> wrote:

> On 5/1/2011, at 11:15pm, Bill Denton wrote:
>
>> As I'm rebuilding by Ubuntu/XBMC media centre, I am looking at
>> configuring get_iplayer again, so have a few questions:
>>
>> 1. Thumbnail tagging options. As far as I can tell MP4 (from .flv) are
>> tagged using AtomicParsley provided the "thumb = 1" is in the options
>> file. However, that still leaves the actual thumbnail file in the
>> directory as well, which seems a bit wasteful.
>
> I believe this option *keeps* the thumbnail.
>
> I don't have this option set, and my nightly --pvr run always shows a thumbnail being downloaded and added to my .mp4s. I certainly don't have junk thumbnail files lying around my store directories.
>
>> Is there anyway of
>> getting get_iplayer to remove the separate thumbnail file.
>
> I think you remove the --thumb option.
>
>> 2. Removal of non Windows compatible characters from file names
>> I'm storing my media on an external NTFS formatted drive, so
>> characters such ":" can't be used. Is there any way of ensuring the
>> file names are Windows NTFS compatible?
>
> Have you tried "--fatfilename"?
>
> I'm fairly sure this was discussed often at the old forums. The search there may be broken.
>
> http://linuxcentre.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
>
>> 3. Emailling
>> I have almost worked out how to get emails sent to myself with the
>> results of searches, so here it is for information:
>> get_iplayer --html test.html news
>> cat - > test.msg
>> To: dentonwe at gmail.com
>> From: dentonwe at gmail.com
>> Subject: iplayer
>> Ctrl-D
>> cat test.msg test.html > test1.msg
>> ssmtp dentonwe at gmail.com < test1.msg
>>
>> It should be possible to wrap this up in a cron job along with the pvr runs.
>
> I cannot tell you how much this upsets me.
>
> $ get_iplayer --longhelp | grep -ie email
>  --email <address>                Email HTML index of matching programmes to specified address
>  --email-sender <address>         Optional email sender address
>  --email-smtp <hostname>          SMTP server IP address to use to send email (default: localhost)
> $
>
> Note that you will have to use a proper SMTP server and not ssmtp.
>
> aB.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I have done some testing and confirmed:
--fatfilename produces Windows compatible filenames
Omitting --thumb for TV programs still gives thumbnail tags, but
doesn't keep the thumbnail. That doesn't deal with radio downloads in
AAC or MP3 format. For which, for now I'll have to keep the thumbnail.

Emailing: I'm currently using ssmtp, as only want to send emails out
from logwatch & get_iplayer using my gmail account. It sounds like I
should use a proper SMTP server. I did have a quick look at postfix,
but couldn't work out how to configure it to just send emails out
using my gmail.com account. Suggestions welcome.

Bill.