Thumbnails, filenames, etc

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 11:47:33 EST 2011

On 7/1/2011, at 12:32pm, Bill Denton wrote:
>> $ get_iplayer --longhelp | grep -ie email
>>  --email <address>                Email HTML index of matching programmes to specified address
>>  --email-sender <address>         Optional email sender address
>>  --email-smtp <hostname>          SMTP server IP address to use to send email (default: localhost)
>> $
>>
>> Note that you will have to use a proper SMTP server and not ssmtp.

> Emailing: I'm currently using ssmtp, as only want to send emails out
> from logwatch & get_iplayer using my gmail account. It sounds like I
> should use a proper SMTP server. I did have a quick look at postfix,
> but couldn't work out how to configure it to just send emails out
> using my gmail.com account. Suggestions welcome.

I really like Postfix; it seems quite secure out of the box. To send always via a specific upstream SMTP server you set relayhost in /etc/postfix/main.cf, however to use Gmail there are some additional authentication steps (and Gmail will always rewrite the From: address in all mail it relays).

If you don't want to configure Postfix then you're probably best off using your ISP's SMTP server. Setting a suitable From: address using "--email-sender" may be required to ensure that the recipient host doesn't mistake you for a spammer.

aB.