Garrow's Law - HD file sizes - anyone watched it? anyone please test?

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 08:37:54 EST 2010

Hi there,

Is anyone else seeing an incongruity in the file sizes of the two episodes of Garrow's Law currently available, please?

That's series 2, episodes 1 & 2, PIDs b00w5c5g & b00wbqmy.

I'd be really grateful if anyone who has already downloaded Garrow's Law could check their file sizes for me, or if there are no replies within a day or two, maybe there's someone out there who could download in HD and take a look for me.

I expect the file sizes stored on my computer to be a bit smaller than that listed by `get_iplayer -i`. get_iplayer transcodes to .mp4, and this container seems to produce a smaller file size. Or perhaps metric vs. imperial file sizes, GB vs GiB, comes into it but it's pretty consistent on my system that the downloaded file will be c 20% smaller than get_iplayer would say. EG: episode 5 of The Indian Doctor is listed as 1055MB by `get_iplayer -i`, the downloaded file is 866MB.

However, both episodes of Garrow's Law are listed by get_iplayer as available in HD with a file size of 1406MB. One of the downloaded files is 1.1GB - what I'd expect - but the other is only 823MB. Both episodes seem to be the same length, 1 hour. This seems like a significant difference.

I haven't watched the shows yet, but it has just occurred to me, whilst writing, to examine the downloaded files with mplayer - both seem to be 1280x720, but one seems to be 2452kbps, the smaller one 1839kbps. That explains why the downloaded files are different sizes, but it doesn't explain why they're both showing as the same size on the BBC's website. I'm obviously slightly concerned that a bug in my version of `ffmpeg` has caused frames to be dropped, or something like this.

Output below and also attached.

Andy.

PS: only 2 episodes of "Indian Doctor" are available in HD, the others only in vhigh.

$ get_iplayer garrow -i | grep -oEe '^[[:digit:]]{1,5}:.+$' -e '[[:alnum:]]+hd[[:digit:]]=[[:digit:]]+MB' -e '^pid:.+$'
318:    Garrow's Law: Series 2 - Episode 1, BBC HD, Audio Described,Classic & Period,Drama,Legal & Courtroom,TV, default,audiodescribed
flashhd1=1406MB
flashhd2=1406MB
rtsphd1=1406MB
rtsphd2=1406MB
pid:            b00w5c5g
319:    Garrow's Law: Series 2 - Episode 2, BBC HD, Audio Described,Classic & Period,Drama,Legal & Courtroom,TV, default,audiodescribed
flashhd1=1406MB
flashhd2=1406MB
rtsphd1=1406MB
rtsphd2=1406MB
pid:            b00wbqmy
$ ls -sh total 1.9G
1.1G Garrows_Law_Series_2_-_Episode_1_b00w5c5g_default.mp4
823M Garrows_Law_Series_2_-_Episode_2_b00wbqmy_default.mp4
$