The necessity of specifying "--type radio"

Jonathan Wiltshire debian at jwiltshire.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 15:20:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:47:03PM +0100, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's a compelling reason, other than "too
> many results" for excluding radio programmes from the search by
> default?

Because of this:

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 08:07:20PM +0100, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:
> Downloading the indexes just narks me at the best of times.

If you expect get_iplayer to search all possible sources, you'll have to
fetch all possible index sets too, and that hurts on the end of my line.
Lots.

> It's rather a pain to get no results on my search for (for instance)
> "Pete Tong" and then have to go back and append "--type radio" to my
> last search.
>
> Of course, it might be MORE of a pain to have one's search results
> cluttered up with an excessive number of many radio shows - I
> couldn't say, because I haven't tried it.

It's also a pain when get_iplayer runs in PVR mode and fetches all sorts
unnoticed. For instance, I had a phase of wanting any radio programmes
containing "Sherlock Holmes" in the title, because there were multiple
series starring Clive Merrison, but not the ITV films running at around the
same time.

> As far as I'm concerned the indexes only need to be downloaded
> during the 2am --pvr run or if for any reason they should be more
> than 24 hours old.

A 2am PVR run is a local decision; since the indexes update more often than
that, regular index fetches could be an advantage. A configuration option
to control when indexes are considered stale would probably be best, I will
see about writing one.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51