Modifying preset searches

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 05:07:42 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I've always had a problem with the syntax of this - I think it was
explained in the introduction to get_iplayer on Phil Lewis' page. I
think I had to refer to that last time I needed to do this, but the
page has been taken down now - at least I can't find it via Google.

What I have is a preset search which I run every day at 9am via a
cronjob, and it shows all shows that have been posted on the BBC in
the last 25 hours.

The cronjob command is:

    get_iplayer -z "Daily Summary" --email andy

The search has some exclusions, such as children's shows, football &
soaps. I can see the settings by from the config file:

$ cat .get_iplayer/presets/Daily_Summary
excludecategory news,weather,football,soaps,politics,disability,Talent
Shows,swimming
excludechannel alba,cbbc,cbeebies,parliament,news
hide 1
since 25
$

This week is showing a need to exclude the category of "tennis" from
my daily synopsis.

But as discovered by Bill Denton earlier this week, it's preferable
not to edit these files directly:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2010-June/000085.html

I'm pretty sure Phil used to give examples showing how to list the
details of presets ("--preset-list" gives only their names) and how to
edit them. Can anyone refresh my memory, please?

aB.

--
Andy Bircumshaw   -   Network Ned   -   Computing services, support &
solutions

Email - andy at networkned.co.uk
Phone - 0845 006 8877, 07740 337 495