Newbie with Fedora Core 4 PPC on Power Mac G5.

Brian D. Carlstrom bdc at carlstrom.com
Sat Jan 28 17:28:17 EST 2006

Brian Durant writes:
 > This one put into some other sort of mode in the terminal with a ">".

If you accidentally do something to make the shell think you want to
continue on the next line of input it will give you this continuation
prompt. for example doing a typ like

    echo \
    echo `
    echo '
    echo "

 > >     sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
 > This one accepted my user password, but the response stated that I
 > wasn't in the sudo folder and that I would be reported (?!?)

it probably said you weren't in the right "group", not folder. the
"reported" just means it email a breaking report to root on your
machine.

you need to configure /etc/sudoers to list who can use sudo, probably
with a line like:
    RoadTripDK    ALL=(ALL) ALL
if you are the only user. on my machines we have many admins so we have
a group but if there is just use this is probably the simplest thing.

 > 1) So first, I need to get sudo working.

hope I helped above

 > 2) "yum check-update" returns something about some file missing in /
 > var/....

just a guess, but you really need to be root to run most yum commands.
otherwise it often fails with strange errors. one of my least favorite
things about yum, although its better in FC4 than YDL I think, just
because its a later version.

 > 3) I need to do a total system update with yum. Is there one command
 > I can use???

just "yum update" should update everything.

 > 4) kudzo prompting me at boot to remove and add drivers that appear
 > to be the same

yeah, i think you can tell it to shutup if you pick the right option at
boot. I don't see this anymore. it should timeout and contineu booting right?

 > 5) no sound

yeah, this is a common problem. With FC4 I finally got some basic sound
working. YDL 4.1 says this is better than 4.0.1

   http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/
   Greatly improved sound support

but that doesn't mean it works for your machine. :)

 > 6) windfarm module problems

you might just need to install a 2.6.15 kernel yourself... its not that
hard or you could get a prebuilt ones from ppckernels.org
    http://www.ppckernel.org/
note that I've ever tried that myself, but often i get source or config
files from there for comparison

-bri