Newbie with Fedora Core 4 PPC on Power Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sat Jan 28 16:52:10 EST 2006

On 28. jan 2006, at 21.52, Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:

> Brian Durant writes:
>> Even though I have a thing for .deb based distros, I am basically a
>> pragmatist at heart and since YDL works best for me, that is where I
>> will concentrate my effort on getting things sorted out.
>
> For me, if the fans work right on my PowerMacs, that is all I care
> about
> at this point. How far my standards have fallen... :)
>
>> 1) I can start a root session, but YDL doesn't recognize the root
>> password when I try to do a command like:
>>
>> $ su tail -f /var/log/messages [ENTER]
>>
>> $ sudo tail -f /var/log/messages [ENTER]
>>
>> $ root tail -f /var/log/messages [ENTER]
>
> These work for me:
>     su root -c "tail -f /var/log/messages"

This one put into some other sort of mode in the terminal with a ">".
When I typed tail -f /var/log/messages (return), it just jumped to a
new line. I tried "exit" and that just returned a new line as well.

>     sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

This one accepted my user password, but the response stated that I
wasn't in the sudo folder and that I would be reported (?!?)

> Note that sudo wants your password, not the root password.
> I don't have a root command on FC4.

1) So first, I need to get sudo working.
2) "yum check-update" returns something about some file missing in /
var/....
3) I need to do a total system update with yum. Is there one command
I can use???
4) kudzo prompting me at boot to remove and add drivers that appear
to be the same
5) no sound
6) windfarm module problems

Any ideas, suggestions, advice would be appreciated. Hopefully you or
someone else will have some good ideas. I need every bit of help that
I can get at this point. I am about to tear my hair out and I can't
be positive that 4.1 is going to solve all of this :-( My experience
hasn't been very good so far, so best to deal with the problems that
I know, try to get it to work and then deal with a possible upgrade
to 4.1 when I have a better idea of what I can get sorted out now.
Here is what my system looks like:

Hardware Overview:

   Machine Name:	Power Mac G5
   Machine Model:	PowerMac9,1
   CPU Type:	PowerPC G5  (3.0)
   Number Of CPUs:	1
   CPU Speed:	1.8 GHz
   L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
   Memory:	1 GB
   Bus Speed:	600 MHz
   Boot ROM Version:	5.2.2f2

>>> Finally, YDL 4.1 is supposed to be out relatively soon...:)
>> Yes, I have been thinking about that as well, but to tell you the
>> truth, I would like to get a boxed version shipped.
>
> more importantly, you have someone to call presumably when your fans
> don't work :)

Hopefully, in my case I can do it by e-mail. Phoning a company in the
States from Denmark is a real pain.

Cheers,

Brian