Howto implement bootchooser <-> rauc interaction

Konstantin Kletschke konstantin.kletschke at inside-m2m.de
Mon Dec 6 00:30:38 PST 2021

Dear Trent,

thank you so much for this comprehensive clarification.

On 2021-12-03 18:52, Trent Piepho wrote:

> You should add a node of "barebox,state" to the *Barebox* device tree.

I will try to prepare a proper device tree.
It was this special tiny detail:

> must have state node ALSO in the Linux device tree.  But you do not
> need to add it manually!  Barebox will automatically inject the state

What I was not aware of, yet! I think I got the point now.

> For this to work, you need to have Barebox give the kernel the Linux
> device tree when booting.  This is the normal way to boot now.  All
> current docs tell you to do this.  There was a much older style where
> the dtb was appended to the kernel image and the kernel found it
> itself without involving the bootloader.  I assume this will not work,
> but I think Barebox state did not exist when I last booted a system
> this way, so I haven't tried.

Yes, no problem, I stumpled upon the combined image+dtb thingy once in
our
but the new stuff I am working upon is barebox passing the dtb to the
kernel.

Thanks also for explaining the possibilities and requirements,
I will figure a nice way to do this on my Beaglebone Black now.

Kind Regards
Konstantin