Booting Linux on Altera's socfpga

Steffen Trumtrar s.trumtrar at pengutronix.de
Mon Apr 13 06:04:11 PDT 2015

Hi!

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 05:43:39AM -0700, Andrey Smirnov wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to use Barebox on Terasic's SoCKit board and so far I've
> had limited success.
>
> My sequence of actions is the following:
>
> 1. Get zImage, device tree file and .rbf file from a pre-built image
> available here:
> http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKITEvaluationBoard140LinuxGettingStarted
>
> 2. Boot into barebox
>
> 3. cp /boot/soc_system.rbf /dev/socfpga-fpga (This step initially
> didn't work for me, so I had to make a change to the firmware driver
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2015-April/023194.html)

This is interesting, because all rbf's I generated myself worked fine.
I wonder why this is different...

> 4. global.linux.bootargs.base="console=ttyS0,115200"
>
> 5. global.bootm.oftree=/boot/soc_system.dtb
>
> 6. global.bootm.image=/boot/zImage
>
> 7. bootm
>
> After the last step I and barebox jumps to the kernel code I don't see
> any output on the serial at all.

Wild guess: does the Rocketboards kernel define "CONFIG_VMSPLIT_2G=y"?
It is possible, that this produces errors when you use barebox.

Try setting
	global.linux.bootargs.base="console=ttyS0,115200 earlyprintk"
if early printk is enabled in the rocketboards kernel.

> I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I can't figure out
> what it is. If anyone has had experience booting Linux using barebox
> on aforementioned board I'd greatly appreciate to hear about how you
> did it.

I'm booting the mainline kernel with barebox since a v3.15ish kernel
and it works fine. I have no idea about the state of the rocketboards
kernel, though.

Regards,
Steffen