Booting Linux on Altera's socfpga

Andrey Smirnov andrew.smirnov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 05:43:39 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I am trying to use Barebox on Terasic's SoCKit board and so far I've
had limited success.

My sequence of actions is the following:

1. Get zImage, device tree file and .rbf file from a pre-built image
available here:
http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKITEvaluationBoard140LinuxGettingStarted

2. Boot into barebox

3. cp /boot/soc_system.rbf /dev/socfpga-fpga (This step initially
didn't work for me, so I had to make a change to the firmware driver
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2015-April/023194.html)

4. global.linux.bootargs.base="console=ttyS0,115200"

5. global.bootm.oftree=/boot/soc_system.dtb

6. global.bootm.image=/boot/zImage

7. bootm

After the last step I and barebox jumps to the kernel code I don't see
any output on the serial at all.

I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I can't figure out
what it is. If anyone has had experience booting Linux using barebox
on aforementioned board I'd greatly appreciate to hear about how you
did it.

Thank you,
Andrey Smirnov