PCM038 USB is broken again

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Aug 16 04:01:39 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:32:41PM +0400, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 08:26:07 +0200
> Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 02:56:56PM +0400, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
> > > And yes, this works after "usb" command:
> > > barebox at ConnectCore i.MX51:/ usb
> > > USB: scanning bus for devices...
> > > Found NXP ISP150x ULPI transceiver (0x04cc:0x1504).
> > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 EHCI Host Controller
> > > 1 USB Device(s) found
> > >
> > > So, you consider this is not a bug?
> >
> > Doing the initialization twice is not nice and wasn't intended, so
> > indeed this is something worth fixing.
>
> Datasheet MCIMX51RM.pdf says:
> 60.3.8 ULPI/Serial MUX
> Host1, Host2, and OTG cores can be configured by software for ULPI or Serial PHY operation. The
> ULPI/Serial mux selects between ULPI interface signals and Serial PHY interface signals. The mux is
> controlled by the PHY Select signals from the USB core and is switched when the software selects the
> interface mode.
> The default configuration for the mux is Serial mode. Switching to ULPI mode is done by writing the
> Parallel Transceiver Select (PTS) bits in the PORTSC register with 0b10.
>
> So, we need to setup PORTSC to ULPI mode first.

Yes, ok. The problem is that fixing initialization on one board seems
to break it on another board. I'm a bit out of ideas since this
initialization shuffeling follows me for several years now. I have some
patches in my queue which I'll send the weekend. I hope this fixes it
for you while keeping HSIC workable.