how easy to add extra config for NAND-less beagle?

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Thu Nov 15 11:16:15 EST 2012

Hi Robert,

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 09:36:37AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   returning to playing with barebox after lengthy hiatus and i asked
> an equivalent question on the u-boot list, let's see if it's relevant
> here.
>
>   i did a regular configure and build for my beagle xM (rev C) which,
> unlike the beagle classic, has no NAND flash:
>
> $ make omap3530_beagle_xload_defconfig ; make
> $ make omap3530_beagle_defconfig ; make
>
> then copied MLO and barebox.bin to an appropriate card and, lo, it
> booted nicely and i'm currently sitting in barebox:
>
>   barebox at Texas Instrument's Beagle:/ version
>
>   barebox 2012.10.0-00283-gd65d9df #2 Thu Nov 15 06:45:21 EST 2012
>
> thing is, this build has a good deal of NAND-related functionality
> that is of no use whatsoever on the current beagle xMs, so i'm
> interested in how little work it would take to add an extra config
> that would deselect everything related to NAND.  (obviously, having
> that functionality there doesn't *hurt*, but i'm planning to use
> barebox in my new embedded linux courses and it would be nice to be
> able to build for an xM and have it *totally* correspond to the actual
> hardware.)  it shouldn't be hard -- simply deselecting anything
> related to NAND, MTD or JFFS2 should do the trick.

Disable MTD support and if you want also the protect/erase commands:

make menuconfig

Drivers                         --->
  [ ] Memory Technology Device (MTD) support  --->

commands                        --->
  flash                           --->
    [ ] protect/erase

Saves you around 35Kb of binary space

> rday
>
> p.s.  when i run "devinfo", i see a couple NAND-related entries:
>
> devices:
> ... snip ...
> `---- gpmc_nand0

The nand device, probably present even when you disable nand support.
However, no driver will bind to it if you disable it.