why would beagle and panda boards not have CONFIG_MCI_STARTUP set?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Feb 7 15:33:32 EST 2012

  slowly working my way thru how to create an appropriate environment
for my beagle xM and when i boot with the default beagle-configured
MLO and barebox.bin, there are no disk devices defined as described
here:

http://wiki.barebox.org/doku.php?id=user:mmc-sd

  that's obviously a problem since the xM and pandaboards have no
NAND and must boot off of SD card.

  now, as i understand it, the MLO loader needs access to the MMC/SD
card just to read barebox.bin, so i'm not at all surprised to see, in
omap3530_beagle_xload_defconfig, the settings:

CONFIG_MCI=y
CONFIG_MCI_STARTUP=y
# CONFIG_MCI_WRITE is not set
CONFIG_MCI_OMAP_HSMMC=y

  but in omap3530_beagle_defconfig, you have only:

CONFIG_MCI=y
CONFIG_MCI_OMAP_HSMMC=y

  if i read it correctly, you can add the line:

mci0.probe=1

to your environment.  but with boards like beagles and pandas, why
would you *not* configure with:

CONFIG_MCI_STARTUP=y

it would seem to make no sense to not have that.  wouldn't that config
setting be a no-brainer on any board that boots *only* off of SD?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca