how does barebox deal with more than one environment?

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Mon Dec 3 04:04:13 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 08:19:26AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

> >   writing up a simple barebox exercise for students and on this page:
> >
> > http://wiki.barebox.org/doku.php?id=user:first_steps
> >
> > it seems clear(?) that you can define multiple environments that will
> > appear at /dev/env0, /dev/env1, etc, but that page also claims that
> > *only* the configuration on /dev/env0 will be executed automatically
> > if barebox finds that it's a valid configuration sector.
> >
> >   so what happens with the additional environments?  that page doesn't
> > make it clear.  i'm just about to read the source to see if i can
> > figure this out.
>
>   oh, wait, i think i see ... the "loadenv" command will load a given
> environment into a directory so i'm *assuming* that additional
> environments are simply available to be loaded, but /dev/env0 is the
> only one treated special.  or feel free to correct me if i'm
> hopelessly wrong.

/dev/env0 is the only environment used by barebox by default. As you
correctly found out loadenv/saveenv could be used to load arbitrary
envfs images to arbitrary directories. We could also think about
adding some kind of redundancy, but currently this would be board
specific, there is no generic heuristic to fall back to a second
env if the first one is corrupted.