FAT filesystem write and long names stability

Robert Jarzmik robert.jarzmik at free.fr
Tue Dec 6 05:01:37 EST 2011

Franck JULLIEN <franck.jullien at gmail.com> writes:

> 2011/12/5 Robert Jarzmik <robert.jarzmik at free.fr>:
>> Franck JULLIEN <franck.jullien at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Do you have this patch applied to your working branch ? :
>>>
>>> fs/fat: Initialize local variable finfo
>> Hi Franck,
>>
>> I cross-checked, and indeed I do not have this fix in my branch, while it sits
>> in next branch. I'll rebase and make another try.
Good guess, with that patch no bug :)

>> Do you by any chance tried the "write" part of FAT ?
> Yes I did try it and as far as I can tell it works. I wrote some test
> files to the SD then read it back on the PC and file were there....
> I don't think I tried to create folders.
Ah that's the node of the story.
I made 2 tries :
 (1) mount the SD card, create a folder "toto", umount
     => when checked in my laptop, no new folder is created
 (2) mount the SD card, create a folder "toto", and copy in it a file "foo.txt",
 umount
     => when checked in my laptop, both the directory and the file *are* there

So I suppose that creating a directory without any file within doesn't trigger
the write on the device.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

--