barebox for leopardboard

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Feb 5 13:20:45 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 01:58:54PM -0400, Tyler W. Wilson wrote:
> On 2/5/2010 1:49 PM, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>> Hi Tyler,
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 12:25:28PM -0400, Tyler W. Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I am curious if anybody has done any work on getting barebox running on
>>> the leopardboard, so I do not reproduce effort.
>>>
>>> I am especially interested in setting up a bootloader that directly
>>> supports USB and DFU, so that I do not need to use the UART/serial port.
>>>
>> I know nothing about the leopardboard, from googling I found out that
>> this is a beagleboard with a camera connected to it, right? Barebox runs
>> on the beagleboard, but unfortunately we do not have USB support for it.
>> You would have to port the usb driver for it, then DFU should work.
>> As a first shot you can compile the beagleboard defconfig and see how
>> far you get.
>>
>> Sascha
>>

> Unfortunately, it is a little different - it uses a DaVinci DM355
> processor, which is an ARM9 + custom DSP. The beagleboard uses an OMAP3x
> of course. Unfortunately, even I am confused on the TI naming scheme as
> to what is an OMAP versus what is a DaVinci.

Then I'm afraid you have to start porting from scratch. If you're lucky
they share some peripherals.

> I will probably do as you suggest - start with the beagleboard configs
> and also look at the leopardboard code in the ti u-boot repo. Hopefully
> that will give me enough data to get the basic barebox running.

Experience showed that it's a good way to start barebox from U-Boot as a
second stage loader and add the low level init stuff later.This way you
should be running up quite fast. Feel free to ask further questions
about it.

> The USB worries me, since I am just familiar enough with it to know how
> complex it can be. Time will tell

What kind of controller does this SoC have, EHCI, OHCI?