Determining barebox version from linux

Marc Reilly marc at cpdesign.com.au
Wed Dec 22 19:03:31 EST 2010

Hi,

I want to be able to determine what version of barebox I have on my NOR flash,
after booting into linux.

The easiest way I thought of is something like:
cat /dev/mtd0 | grep "barebox 2010"

Another way to do this is to have the version_string (or other version info)
at a fixed location in the barebox image. This feels like a overly rigid
solution, and may be a pain to put into the build system.

Does anybody else accomplish this in a better way? (I don't want to pass the
barebox version as an arg when booting the kernel - I'd rather it be more
"standalone").

Cheers
Marc