V2 RC10 via OE cross compile to OMAP3

Freeman P. Pascal IV pascal at pascal.org
Fri Dec 11 00:50:49 EST 2009

Hello,

        I'm trying to build RC10 for use on an Archos 7 internet media
        tablet.
        The idea is to load u-boot V2 during the stage 3 boot instead of
        the
        original modified initramfs image from flash.  I could then
        select which
        kernel and root file-system I use to boot the rest of the way.

        On top of this, I am trying to use an OpenEmbedded overlay that
        is based
        on the SDE (Special Developer Edition) release provided by
        Archos.  I
        want to use the cross compiler generated by the OE image in
        preparation
        for generating a recipe for doing the same when building my
        release
        images.

        With a bit tweaking, I have been able to generate binaries for
        RC10 for
        my Archos 7 and my BeagleBoard.  Both using the their own cross
        compiler
        tools generated by their separate OE projects.  This is using
        the
        patches for the OMAP3 found on this list.

        >From what I have read, I should be able to copy the executable
        ELF
        binary (not the .bin file) on to my respective devices and run
        it to
        test if it works.  When I do this, I get an "Illegal
        instruction" error.

        Could I get someone to confirm or deny my assumption about being
        able to
        test the elf binary on my devices?  Should I be compiling the
        sandbox
        version for my devices instead of the platform/board specific
        versions?

        If the the above is confirmed, then I will need to install a
        debugger
        that will let me see where the failure is happening and go from
        there.

        Any hints on how I can get V2 on either of these devices would
        be
        appreciated.

        -Freeman