ath9k/ath10k DFS testing / certification

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Tue Jan 24 07:10:55 PST 2017

Hi Adrian,

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:05:58 AM CET Adrian Chadd wrote:
> hi!
>
> On 24 January 2017 at 03:16, Simon Wunderlich <sw at simonwunderlich.de> wrote:
> > Hi Adrian,
> >
> > I've been doing DFS pre-tests back in December 2016. We did AP tests for a
> > 9880 based AP for ETSI and FCC region. We had two small patches for making
> > the>
> > tests less painful (in hostapd and mac80211):
> >  * disable CSA on incoming radar, that is keep on staying on the operating
> >
> > channels. That makes continouos testing of radar signals much easier
> > (usually you test like 10 radars in a row), since we don't had to reboot
> > the device all the time.
> >
> >  * shorten CAC to 3 seconds, because waiting 60 seconds is also taking
> >  some
> >
> > time
>
> Do you have those patches available somewhere?

not sure if I can release them, so no. :)

But both were rather trivial, the first one is a change in hostapd, the latter
in mac80211.

> > All FCC tests pass, at least from the radar detection point. ETSI had a
> > problem with one of the patterns. We used iperf UDP tests to generate
> > load,
> > but will probably switch to another tool in the next round (or tune it),
> > since it seems to send packets too bursty, which could be the cause for
> > the failed ETSI test.
>
> Ok. What are you using to generate radar patterns for testing?

We used 300k+ EUR Rohde&Schwarz equipment of the certification lab. :)

I don't have a pattern generation available at my home, but I remember
discussions that it's possible to get something useful and cheap using SDRs
(with cheap I mean in the <5k$ range). I believe Zefir had tried this route

> > Thanks for the info on the scan bug, we discovered that too, but thought
> > we
> > could fix it in mac80211 (but never really followed up). Please keep me in
> > the loop when this is fixed. :)
> :
> :) I'll punt this to QCA if/when the right time arises and see if
>
> they'll fix ath10k firmware.

Excellent!

     Simon