speedtch usbatm.c,1.20,1.21 usbatm.h,1.13,1.14

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue May 3 03:48:06 EDT 2005

> > > No, I thought about using static endpoint number from usbatm_driver.in
> > > or .out and poking at the endpoint descriptor after .bind() (that can't
> > > be done before .bind() because it may need to choose the proper
> > > altsetting).
> > You can do it in usb_probe so before the .bind(). That how it was done in my iso
> > pipe patch.
>
> Well, yes, but I thought that we considered driver's probe as workaround
> for the usb core API which didn't allow for easy creation of extra
> intermediate layers, which usbatm core was: if we could figure out the
> subdriver in usbatm_usb_probe() without much hassle we wouldn't need
> subdriver's usb_driver.probe() methods at all, only
> usbatm_driver.bind().  So, generally speaking, the driver's probe should
> only be a one-liner calling usbatm_usb_probe().

I have a general solution for this kind of problem: suppose a minidriver
wants to modify in bind some of things it specified in its
struct usbatm_driver.  Then it should dynamically allocate a
struct usbatm_driver in its probe method (maybe copying into it a static
struct usbatm_driver that it has prepared in advance), and pass that to
usbatm_usb_probe.  In the bind call it modifies that struct via
usbatm->driver, eg: changing the rx/tx endpoints.  It frees the struct
in unbind.  This will work as long as usbatm reads the driver data after
the call to bind, not before (except for the bind method of course).  The
reason for allocating the struct rather than modifying the static struct
is that that avoids problems if there are several devices for the same
minidriver, all trying to modify the same bit of memory...

Ciao,

D.