IPv6 Connectivity

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 11:13:16 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Thomas Glanzmann <thomas at glanzmann.de> wrote:
> Hello Nikos,
> the IPv6 code seems to have several problems:
> ocserv[18412]: [main] tun.c:90: vpns0: Error setting IPv6.
> ocserv[18412]: [main] tun.c:100: vpns0: Error setting DST IPv6.

Indeed. I realized that in Linux there is black magic involved to set
an IPv6 address to a device. The same ioctl is used (SIOCSIFADDR) but
a different structure is passed (in6_ifreq) which isn't typically
defined. Moreover SIOCGIFADDR isn't able to read the IPv6 address.

I think also that my assumption that a tun device allows for both an
IPv4 and IPv6 address isn't true. So indeed IPv6 support is broken and
requires quite some changes.