help debugging openconnect hang?

Kevan Rehm kfr at sgi.com
Wed Dec 17 13:40:07 PST 2014

Greetings,

I recently upgraded my linux workstation to open-suse 13.2, and am
running openconnect-6.00-3.1.3.x86_64.   I can vpn-connect to my office,
things work fine for some number of hours, at which point all my konsole
windows will suddenly freeze, and my thunderbird client times out trying
to connect to the email server.   Opening a fresh konsole and trying to
ping office servers also fails. Curiously, firefox continues to work.
While my workstation is frozen, my windows laptop continues to be
vpn-connected to the office and its putty windows work fine, so the
office server is not the problem.   If I use the laptop to try to ping
back to my workstation from a work server, that also times out, the
pings don't work, the freeze is in both directions.

I have tried raising the verbosity of openconnect.   When the freeze
happens, the number of DTLS packets sent and received drops way off, I
only see stuff like this:

No work to do; sleeping for 11000 ms...
Got CSTP DPD response
No work to do; sleeping for 11000 ms...
Send DTLS Keepalive
No work to do; sleeping for 4000 ms...
Send CSTP Keepalive
No work to do; sleeping for 10000 ms...
Send DTLS DPD
No work to do; sleeping for 5000 ms...
Received DTLS packet 0x04 of 1 bytes
Got DTLS DPD response
No work to do; sleeping for 5000 ms...
Send CSTP DPD
No work to do; sleeping for 10000 ms...
Got CSTP DPD response
No work to do; sleeping for 10000 ms...
Send DTLS Keepalive
No work to do; sleeping for 5000 ms...
Send CSTP Keepalive
No work to do; sleeping for 10000 ms...
Send DTLS DPD
No work to do; sleeping for 5000 ms...
Received DTLS packet 0x04 of 1 bytes
Got DTLS DPD response
No work to do; sleeping for 5000 ms...
Send CSTP DPD
No work to do; sleeping for 10000 ms...
Got CSTP DPD response
No work to do; sleeping for 10000 ms...

This happens 4-5 times a day.   The only choice at that point is to
Cntl-C out of the openconnect session, then reconnect to the work
server, then I'm good again for a few hours.   Prior to my workstation
upgrade (opensuse 12.1) I did not have these problems.

I'm looking for help/advice on how best to debug this problem. Ideas?

Thanks, Kevan