kernel 2.6.17.14: 16bit graphics mode on the netwinder has no characters

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Mon Oct 29 21:16:32 EDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:27:38PM +0100, Jan Rinze wrote:

> To switch to 16 bpp mode
>
> Just see what happens. :-)

Alright, I can confirm that it works ok in 2.4.27-vrs2,
and that it's broken for sure as of 2.6.12 and later.
I haven't been able to compile 2.6.0 through 2.6.11
successfully, due to toolchain issues.  I can try to
do native compiles but that will take some time.

Andrew's suggestion is a good one, though I'm not sure
where to go looking.  Is it RGB_555 versus 565 mode that
is the issue here?  Judging from how the display goes
mostly blank (with some scattering of random pixels,
mostly white) I would think we are dealing with something
more than just a one-bit shift of colour information.

-R