new to netwinder

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Sat Jul 28 16:11:13 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 02:05:57PM -0400, Jamie Guinan wrote:

> I've had some trouble with that off and on, the symptom usually being
> garbled sound output, but I've been running 2.6.16 for a while now,
> and light sound usage seems to be Ok.  Alsa modules,

Hmm, the DMA problem results in pops in the sound (eg. playback stops),
or stuters.  If you are getting garbled sound, that is likely something
else.  I have a suspicion that we're missing to setup somethign in the
WaveArtist that BIOS would normally do, because from time to time, when
I power up a netwinder, the little three-note chime it plays moments after
powering on comes out all the wrong notes.

> Recently I've had another problem: the DEC/tulip port (eth0 on my
> setup) has started dropping link for ~1 second at a time under heavy
> usage, which I really notice when playing quake/etc (my netwinder is
> my firewall, I don't play quake on it).  I read on the FAQ that the
> link LED on the netwinder is inverted, but I can see the link go down
> on the switch side,
>
>   http://goonathon.net/nw/tulip-link.html

Interesting.  I'd recommend building the tulip driver with debugging
enabled (at least, media level debugging) and seeing what the netwinder
thinks.  If its renegotiating parity/speed, you'll see info on the
console and/or in dmesg output.

-R