new to netwinder

Jamie Guinan guinan at bluebutton.com
Sat Jul 28 14:05:57 EDT 2007

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Ralph Siemsen wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 11:19:44AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> >
> > Is it still the case that there is no support for the Netwinder's sound
> > chip in the 2.6 kernels?
>
> Admittedly I didn't try that :)  There is a longstanding hardware issue
> that affects sound - well, any ISA bus transfers in fact, which looks
> like a bug in the arbiter.  The short version is, if you use the 100mbit
> network interface, you'll get audio bumps frequently, due to the bus
> locking up periodically.

I've had some trouble with that off and on, the symptom usually being
garbled sound output, but I've been running 2.6.16 for a while now,
and light sound usage seems to be Ok.  Alsa modules,

$ lsmod
waveartist             15936  1
sound                  75744  2 waveartist
soundcore               7716  2 sound

Recently I've had another problem: the DEC/tulip port (eth0 on my
setup) has started dropping link for ~1 second at a time under heavy
usage, which I really notice when playing quake/etc (my netwinder is
my firewall, I don't play quake on it).  I read on the FAQ that the
link LED on the netwinder is inverted, but I can see the link go down
on the switch side,

  http://goonathon.net/nw/tulip-link.html

I've been running 2.6.16 since last October, and this only started
happening a few weeks ago.  I've tried different cables, different
ports on the switch, to no avail.

Even if I retire it as my firewall, its still a neat little machine to
have around.  I might try and revive the video-input/output one of
these days.

-Jamie