new to netwinder

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Sat Jul 28 13:00:29 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 11:19:44AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Is it still the case that there is no support for the Netwinder's sound
> chip in the 2.6 kernels?

Admittedly I didn't try that :)  There is a longstanding hardware issue
that affects sound - well, any ISA bus transfers in fact, which looks
like a bug in the arbiter.  The short version is, if you use the 100mbit
network interface, you'll get audio bumps frequently, due to the bus
locking up periodically.

> Hmm.  Are Netwinders picky about what drives they use?  I just asked
> about a 30G limit.  Are there other compatability issues?

Power consumption on the rack-mount version which uses 3.5" drives.
Usually not an issue for the notebook drives.  The symptom is constant
rebooting, as soon as the disk spins up it trips voltage watchdog and
reboots.

-R