troubles Compiling a kernel.

ninjasuit2000-netwinder at yahoo.com ninjasuit2000-netwinder at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 16:26:04 EST 2005

--- Ralph Siemsen <ralphs at netwinder.org> wrote:
> ninjasuit2000-netwinder at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>  > /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26:
> linux/limits.h:
>  > No such file or directory
>
> You likely won't be able to compile most anything on
> this system - it
> appears to be missing standard kernel headers.
> Install kernel-headers
> package first.
>
> Or as simpler fix you can use the kernel source
> itself, this means you
> have to change the /usr/src/linux symbolic link to
> point to the actual
> kernel source tree you are building.

I have the kernel headers package installed and have
made the symlink as described.

>  > I'm not sure what the cause is. But any help
> would be
>  > greatly appreciated since I was planning on doing
>  > kernel build with some additional patches to
> provid
>  > support for integrating iptables with ethernet
>  > bridging to build a transparent firewall...
>
> You know you need special patches on top of regular
> kernels to run them
> on ARM processors, right?  Also all of the 2.4
> kernels on netwinder.org
> incldue iptables support already.  Not sure about
> bridging (can't
> remember, check the arch/arm/def-configs/netwinder
> file).
>
> -Ralph

I'm using the kernel source provided from one of the
netwinder.org mirrors which is the most current 2.4
series kernel with patches for nw.. I believe the
patch version is nw4 and the SPEC file in the srpm
does do the proper patching as show here:

Source0:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.19.tar.bz2
Patch1:
ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/kernel/v2.4/patch-2.4.19-rmk7.bz2
Patch2:
ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/pub/netwinder/kernel/patches/v2.4/patch-2.4.19-rmk7-nw4.gz
Patch3:
ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/pub/netwinder/kernel/patches/patch-2.4.19-rmk7-nw4-freeswan-1.99.gz

###
### prep
###

%prep
%setup0 -n linux-2.4.19 -q
%patch1 -p1
%patch2 -p1
%patch3 -p1

###
### build
###

%build
make netwinder_config
make oldconfig
make dep
make Image
make modules

Also, I realize that the default kernel is built with
iptables, but the standard iptables cannot interface
with the bridging support from what I've read... The
patch I'm trying to do allows packet filtering and
mangling in the FORWARD chain to effect packets movign
across the br0 interface meaning that I can create a
transparent firewall with public addresses on both the
internet and trusted side. And I can do cool stuff
like transparently forward outgoing port 80 requests
to squid running on the firewall...

Really cool stuff, but I can't seem to get the first
step down which is building the kernel...

I also read that some people have had success getting
2.6 series kernels to run on the netwinder and have
gained some appreciable speed ups. I couldn't find any
details to the specifics of how they did it. I'd be
interested in knowing more if anybody on this mailing
list knows anything about it.

Lastly, I've gotten ahold of contact info for a memory
company that can supply 256meg SO-dimms appropriate
for use in the netwinder if anybody is interested in
ordering one I'd be happy to coordinate a group buy to
bring the price down a few bucks...

-Dave Pratt
Oakland, CA