Aircard 850 on a Thinkpad Z61m

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jul 3 16:37:30 EDT 2007

 <josh <at> ramat.cc> writes:

> I'm not sure which kernel your using, but I did get the card working,
> without changing the kernel source. In my case, I renamed SW_8xx_SER.cis to
> SW_7xx_SER.cis in /lib/firmware.
>
> I switched around the IRQ in the BIOS to have the AirCard on
> its own IRQ (based on the irq that setserial was showing) and added the
> IO port range listed in /proc/ioports for pcmcia_socket0 to
> /etc/pcmcia/config.opts. After rebooting the machine the UART in setserial
> was automatically set and I was able to access the card via minicom.
>
> When you insert the card what does udevmonitor show?

I have not yet actually tried this due to hard disk problems. I had
already understood that simply renaming SW_8xx_SER.cis to SW_7xx_SER.cis
would make it work, barring IRQ/BIOS issues, but that's a horrible
kludge. "Doing it right" so that the same system could handle either or
both 8xx and 7xx cards would necessarily require fixing the driver
source, and that's what I was griping about. I think that ideally, that
should be udev's job. I don't actually have a 7xx card, but someone else
might have both, and I would not want to pass this problem onto them if
I had an opportunity to prevent it.