Aircard 850 on a Thinkpad Z61m

josh at ramat.cc josh at ramat.cc
Tue Jul 3 15:08:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

> Even though 7xx and 8xx use different CIS files, they have the same manfid, but
> the kernel driver doesn't seem to take this into account. IMHO, it's unfortunate
> that driver source has to be edited every time an existing, otherwise unchanged

I'm not sure which kernel your using, but I did get the card working,
without changing the kernel source. In my case, I renamed SW_8xx_SER.cis to
SW_7xx_SER.cis in /lib/firmware.

> driver can be reused for a previously undiscovered device. It would be great if
> that could all be offloaded to udev. Anyway, as things stand, is there a way to
> set PCMCIAutils up to "just work" with whichever 16-bit AirCard might get
> inserted? TIA

I switched around the IRQ in the BIOS to have the AirCard on
its own IRQ (based on the irq that setserial was showing) and added the
IO port range listed in /proc/ioports for pcmcia_socket0 to
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts. After rebooting the machine the UART in setserial
was automatically set and I was able to access the card via minicom.

When you insert the card what does udevmonitor show?

--
  - Josh