pccard hang.

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Wed May 31 08:18:35 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 12:30:47AM +0100, Chris Ball wrote:
> directly after ata_piix setup, at:
>
>    pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
>    cs: memory probe 0xff400000-0xffcfffff: excluding 0xff400000-0xff48ffff
>
> If I insert the card anytime after init/udev are up, I instead see:
>
>    pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
>    cs: memory probe 0xffeff000-0xffefffff: excluding 0xffeff000-0xfff00fff
>    pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
>
> My config.opts is available at:
>
>    http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/cjb/config.opts

Either the memory ranges are broken, or the IRQ. Do you know, by chance,
which does cause this failure? You could test whether it is the memory range
by adding reserved=0xff490000,0x00aff000 to the kenrel boot line, and check
whether it works.

> So, my question is:  if the reading of config.opts doesn't happen until
> after hotplug is up, and config.opts is necessary for situations like
> mine to avoid a crash, why is there a probe happening pre-init?

On very most systems there is no such crash; in fact, your notebook seems to
be the first on where the autoconfiguration fails.

Could you send me a complete dmesg, please?

Thanks,