reset of pcmcia device.

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Sat May 6 03:01:13 EDT 2006

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 02:53:40AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello, Krzysztof!
>
> On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 09:17 +0200, Krzysztof Drewicz wrote:
> > >pccardctl reset
> > ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 169) is a 16550A
>
> > I use hotplug, but it does initialization only first time, rmmoding
> > pcmcia-related modules and modprobing gives error:
> > $ cat < /dev/ttyS1
> > cat: Read Error: Input/output error
>
> I'm quite sure the problem is not on the PCMCIA side of things.  If the
> driver requires power cycling of the device, the problem is in the
> driver (or less likely in the hardware).  The driver should initialize
> the device properly, whether it was power cycled or not.  Using PCMCIA
> reset would be a workaround.  Please talk to serial_cs developers.

I'm not aware of any requirement like this.

But I think someone's getting confused - note that Krzysztof talks of
a reset as "rmmoding pcmcia-related modules and modprobing".  That's
not a reset, that's a complete tear-down of PCMCIA.

Also note that Krzysztof doesn't post any kernel messages illustrating
what happened during this "rmmod and modprobe" action, so no one knows
why it doesn't work.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core