FC5 not properly configuring modem of multifunction modem/ethernet card

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Mon Jul 10 17:06:59 EDT 2006

I need to configure the modem part of a pcmcia multifunction
ethernet/modem card for my laptop.  FC5 appears to correctly identify
most parameters but incorrectly identifies the modem part as an ethernet
device, eth1.

Here are the relevant parts of /etc/sysconfig/hwconf:

-
class: NETWORK
bus: PCMCIA
detached: 0
device: eth1
driver: serial_cs
desc: "3Com Corporation 3C562D/3C563D EtherLink III LAN+Modem PC Card"
vendorId: 0101
deviceId: 0562
function: 1
slot: 1
-

-
class: NETWORK
bus: PCMCIA
detached: 0
device: eth2
driver: 3c589_cs
desc: "3Com Corporation 3C562D/3C563D EtherLink III LAN+Modem PC Card"
network.hwaddr: 00:60:97:ee:c6:fb
vendorId: 0101
deviceId: 0562
function: 0
slot: 1

The system is correctly identifying the driver for the modem side of he
card.  I may have helped get to this point by adding

card "3Com 3c562/3c563 Ethernet/Modem"
   manfid 0x0101, 0x0562
   bind "3c589_cs" to 0, "serial_cs" to 1

to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts as indicated in the material at
pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net.

The problem is that the device eth1 on the modem side of the card
appears to be interfering with my ability to configure the ppp
connection in the Network Configuration tool.  The tool tells me there
are no modems available and does not let me correct the eth1 to
something like ppp0, which is what it should be.

I tried to edit /etc/sysconfig/hwconf but it appears to be automatically
generated at boot time.

I also noticed a similar problem in /etc/modprobe.conf with a
statement aliasing
the serial driver serial_cs to eth1.  I tried placing a file in
modprobe.d with a statement aliasing serial_cs to ppp0, but that
didn't help.

How do I get FC5 to correctly identify the dialup modem part of the card?

Stan Klein