Xircom pcmcia CEM56 eth/modem combo works on thinkpad 390 but not 600

Daniel Ritz daniel.ritz-ml at swissonline.ch
Wed Oct 12 16:25:56 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 14.25, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Both Daniel Ritz and David Hinds wrote
>
> >> Is the winmodem likely to be causing problems in linux-2.6.13? If so, what do I do?
>
> > How about:
> >  exclude port 0x2f8-0x2ff
> > in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts?
>
> > (I think this port range is used by the winmodem; you can
> > check that the non-working Xircom card is also trying to
> > use this IO port range)
>
> I added Daniel's patch below and added the exclude port
> instruction above. The ethernet part of the card still
> didn't work (didn't test modem part).
>
> Here's cat /proc/ioports with the card in
>
> 0000-001f : dma1
> 0020-0021 : pic1
> 0040-0043 : timer0
> 0050-0053 : timer1
> 0060-006f : keyboard
> 0070-0077 : rtc
> 0080-008f : dma page reg
> 00a0-00a1 : pic2
> 00c0-00df : dma2
> 00f0-00ff : fpu
> 0170-0177 : ide1
> 01f0-01f7 : ide0
> * 02e8-02ef : pcmcia_socket1
> *  02e8-02ef : serial
> * 0300-030f : pcmcia_socket1
> 0376-0376 : ide1
> 03c0-03df : vga+
> 03e0-03e1 :
> 03f6-03f6 : ide0
> * 03f8-03ff : serial
> 04d0-04d1 : pnp 00:0a
> 0cf8-0cff : PCI conf1
> 1000-10ff : PCI CardBus #02
> 1400-14ff : PCI CardBus #02
> 15e0-15ef : pnp 00:0a
> 1800-18ff : PCI CardBus #06
> 1c00-1cff : PCI CardBus #06
> 8400-841f : 0000:00:07.2
>    8400-841f : uhci_hcd
> d000-dfff : PCI Bus #01
> ef00-ef3f : 0000:00:07.3
> efa0-efbf : 0000:00:07.3
> fcf0-fcff : 0000:00:07.1
>    fcf0-fcf7 : ide0
>    fcf8-fcff : ide1
>
> the new entries on inserting the card are the two
> pcmcia_socket and the two serial entries (denoted by '*').
> The ports used do not change with the added exclude range in
> config.opts. To check that the exclude instruction is doing
> something, I added the ports used by pcmcia_socket and by
> serial above to extra "exclude port" lines in config.opts,

seems to be a good idea.

> but the ports used did not change on ejecting and
> reinserting the card. I conclude that what I've done isn't
> excluding any ports. Am I supposed to reHUP something to get
> the exclude port instruction used?

you're using pcmciautils...so you have to run pcmcia-socket-startup
to write the new values. also after boot, to make sure it's setup, do a:
	cat /sys/class/pcmcia_socket/pcmcia_socket0/available_resources_setup_done
and:
	cat /sys/class/pcmcia_socket/pcmcia_socket0/available_resources_io
to see the configured ranges

> > could you please also post the following data from both laptops:
>
> the laptop that works is at home (sorry). I'll pull it out
> tonight.
>
> > - full dmesg
>
> attached for machine that doesn't work
>
> > - cat /proc/interrupts with card inserted
>
>             CPU0
>    0:      95977          XT-PIC  timer
>    1:       1433          XT-PIC  i8042
>    2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>    3:          8          XT-PIC  1.0
>    8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>   11:        520          XT-PIC  yenta, yenta, uhci_hcd:usb1
>   12:        116          XT-PIC  i8042
>   14:       2954          XT-PIC  ide0
>   15:         12          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> Interrupt 3 is the one that appears on inserting the card.
> config.opts excluded 4 and 10.

looks fine so far...

> > since this is multifunciton card i would guess that the attached patch
> > could fix the problem. it's already merged in 2.6.14-rc. i guess that one
> > would be a -stable candidate anyway..
>
> did all above tests with this patch.
>
> Thanks Joe

rgds