PXA2xx pcmcia to compact flash on 2.6.13

John Heil armdev at scsoftware.sc-software.com
Fri Dec 16 07:58:13 EST 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Russell King wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:30:16PM -0800, John Heil wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > > Hi, John!

> > > I guess you circumvented reading CIS by doing this.  I'm not sure if you
> > > can read CIS at all.
> >
> > Hi Pavel,
> >
> > Thnx for responding...
> >
> > Actually, bind_request calls pcmcia_device_add and that is the ioctl i/f
> > for cardmgr when it detect pcmcia hotplug.

> > > This means that the client driver cannot find CIS.
> >
> > Exactly.
> >
> > My concern is that the PXA270 hardware PCMCIA area, at 0x20000000,
> > may not be correctly ioremapped by cs/ds to find where the CIS is being
> > returned at.
>
> It strikes me that it would be far simpler if you were to use the PXA
> support already present in the kernel, and maybe just hard-wire the
> card detect support to say "Card Present".

I do want to use the existing PXA kernel support.
My target driver is ide-cs. Getting PXA PCMCIA support to invoke it
is what I'm trying to do...

The board I've got differs from the reference design in that they
exchanged Intel's FPGA for a dumbed down CPLD w/o hotplug and w/o
the controlling registers Intel had in their FPGA. Thus PCMCIA card
variables such as voltage  etc are fixed.

The board will never use anything PCMCIA except  Compact Flash.

My problem is getting that ide-cs driver invoked w/o user space hotplug,
cardmgr or whatever...

By "Card Present" I presume you mean SS_DETECT ?

I'll try "Card Present" and see what it buys me...

Thnx