PXA2xx pcmcia to compact flash on 2.6.13

Russell King rmk+pcmcia at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Dec 16 04:21:03 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:30:16PM -0800, John Heil wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > Hi, John!
> >
> > On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 11:00 -0800, John Heil wrote:
> > > I've done a bind_request to get ide-cs.c to manage the compact flash.
> > > bind_request completes successfully and I then call ide_attach in
> > > ide-cs.
> >
> > I guess you circumvented reading CIS by doing this.  I'm not sure if you
> > can read CIS at all.
>
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Thnx for responding...
>
> Actually, bind_request calls pcmcia_device_add and that is the ioctl i/f
> for cardmgr when it detect pcmcia hotplug.
>

> > > ide_attach does a pcmcia_register_client and ds.c ultimately drives
> > > GetFirstTuple which is failing w 'No more items'
> >
> > This means that the client driver cannot find CIS.
>
> Exactly.
>
> My concern is that the PXA270 hardware PCMCIA area, at 0x20000000,
> may not be correctly ioremapped by cs/ds to find where the CIS is being
> returned at.

It strikes me that it would be far simpler if you were to use the PXA
support already present in the kernel, and maybe just hard-wire the
card detect support to say "Card Present".

That's probably a one or two line change to a working driver - far
simpler than trying to do lots of modifications throughout the PCMCIA
layer.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core