[Linux-parport] PC-to-PC parallel port cable

Dave Strauss dstrauss at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 22 09:36:52 GMT 2004

Most of these issues have been covered in this list before; see
for example http://www.cyberelk.net/tim/parport/archive/current/5769.html
and http://www.cyberelk.net/tim/parport/archive/current/5772.html.
The rest of this thread may also be of interest to you.

If you want to understand more about how the parallel port on PCs
works, I suggest this site:

  http://www.beyondlogic.org/

and in particular these pages:

  http://www.beyondlogic.org/spp/parallel.htm
  http://www.beyondlogic.org/parlcd/parlcd.htm
  http://www.beyondlogic.org/epp/epp.htm
  http://www.beyondlogic.org/ecp/ecp.htm

The documents are DOS-centric but they give a pretty good overview of
the standard parallel port hardware found in PCs.  Finally, if you
want to understand the standards behind ECP and EPP mode you can get
the IEEE1284 standard from ieee.org.

Whenever this issue comes up, I always have to ask why someone is
trying to connect two PCs together via the parallel port.  Why not
just connect them with an ethernet cable?  Unlike the parallel port,
ethernet was designed for bidirectional communications and the
software to do it is already there.

-- Dave Strauss