[GIT PULL] mtd: spi-nor: changes for v6.12

Pratyush Yadav pratyush at kernel.org
Sat Sep 14 08:55:39 PDT 2024

On Fri, Sep 13 2024, Miquel Raynal wrote:

> Hi Pratyush,
>
> pratyush at kernel.org wrote on Thu, 12 Sep 2024 12:28:57 +0200:
>
>> Hi Miquel,
>>
>> Here are the SPI NOR changes for v6.12. I usually base my branch on top
>> of -rc1, but this time around it seems I did it a few commits after
>> v6.11-rc1. Probably just didn't notice torvalds/master had moved. Should
>> make no difference in practice anyway.
>
> I don't think I can merge your tag without the 4 minmax patches, which
> means they will appear in my final merge request to Linus, unless I
> explicitly don't use an -rc as a base, but this must be justified I
> believe. Can you please fix the branch and regenerate the tag? I don't
> mind personally if you force push, if it makes the history more clear.

TL;DR: I'll rebase and send you a new pull request.

I thought it wouldn't matter since Linus' tree already has those minmax
commits anyway. I did a test merge just now and seems I was right. When
I merge current spi-nor/next into mtd/next, and then merge mtd/next into
torvalds/master, here's the merge I get:

    Merge branch 'mtd/merge-test'

    * mtd/merge-test:
    mtd: spi-nor: fix flash probing
    mtd: powernv: Add check devm_kasprintf() returned value
    mtd: spi-nor: spansion: Add support for S28HS256T
    mtd: concat: Use kmemdup_array instead of kmemdup for multiple allocation
    mtd: parsers: bcm47xxpart: make read-only array possible_nvram_sizes static const
    mtd: Use of_property_read_bool()
    mtd: slram: insert break after errors in parsing the map
    mtd: spi-nor: winbond: add Zetta ZD25Q128C support
    mtd: spi-nor: micron-st: Add n25q064a WP support
    mtd: spi-nor: sst: Factor out common write operation to `sst_nor_write_data()`

But since mtd/next doesn't have the minmax commits, here is what the
merge of spi-nor/next into mtd/next looks like:

    Merge branch 'spi-nor/next' into mtd/merge-test

    * spi-nor/next:
    mtd: spi-nor: fix flash probing
    mtd: spi-nor: spansion: Add support for S28HS256T
    mtd: spi-nor: winbond: add Zetta ZD25Q128C support
    mtd: spi-nor: micron-st: Add n25q064a WP support
    mtd: spi-nor: sst: Factor out common write operation to `sst_nor_write_data()`
    minmax: simplify min()/max()/clamp() implementation
    minmax: don't use max() in situations that want a C constant expression
    minmax: scsi: fix mis-use of 'clamp()' in sr.c
    minmax: make generic MIN() and MAX() macros available everywhere

Essentially, your merge to Linus would be fine but my merge to your
branch will (appear to) have these extra commits.

I don't think any of this is worth the extra confusion so I will just
rebase my branch on v6.11-rc1 force push. Will send you a v2 of the pull
request soon.

Side note:

> [...]unless I explicitly don't use an -rc as a base, but this must be
> justified I believe.

I am curious why that is so. I don't see how using an -rc as base is any
better than using any other commit in Linus' tree. For git it doesn't
matter since an -rc commit is the same as any other commit. I suppose if
everyone does it, the history might be a bit cleaner, but I don't see
how it would make much of a difference in practice.

--
Regards,
Pratyush Yadav