MTD/ DoC Millenium Plus - Failure in flash detection

Ruediger Haertel hae at port.de
Fri Jul 8 05:21:52 EDT 2005

Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2005 10:48 schrieb Ruediger Haertel:

> > > No. I use the one of the uClinux-dist-20041215. I'll give the one
> > > from mtd-cvs a try. Should I use realy the latest snapshot or the
> > > one I am using from date 2005.03.03.
> >
> > Now I used the nanddump from mtd-cvs 2005-03-03. The same result.
> > It reads oobsize and oobblock as 0.
> >
> > I printed the values of the mtd structure during probing and they
> > are: oob size: 16, oob block: 512
> >
> > Seems ok. So I guess my device file is not correct. I am
> > using /dev/mtd5,c,90,9.
>
> Stupid me. Of course it was the wrong device file. MTD Devices have
> an even minor number (mtd->index*2). The odd minor (mtd->index* 2+1)
> number is used for readonly device files. Now I use the device file
> /dev/mtd5,c,90,10.
>
> Now I get output from nanddump. But I cannot see the file contents
> that I wrote to the DoC.
>
> testfile: "0123456789ABCDEF"
>
> /> nandwrite -p /dev/mtd5 /mnt/testfile
> MTD_open
> MTD_ioctl
> MTD_ioctl
> Writing data to block 0
> MTD_ioctl
> Bad block at 0, 1 block(s) from 0 willM be skipped
> Writing dataT to block 4000
> D_ioctl
> MTD_write
> MTD_close
>
> Seems to have worked. However nanddump (I dumped the complete 16 MB)
> does not show the file contents on the DoC.

After I erased the /dev/mtd5 (eraseall /dev/mtd5 == my DoC) and did a
nandwrite I could see the contents. But it seems that it also destroyed
something other because I couldn't reboot. The bootloader showed only
silly characters.
After downloading the kernel again the boot screen showed the following
lines:

Using configured DiskOnChip probe address 0x40000000
DiskOnChip found at 0x40000000
No NAND device found!!!
No valid DiskOnChip devices found

Hmm. This is not nice. What can I do to revoke it again?

--

Ruediger Haertel