MTD/ DoC Millenium Plus - Failure in flash detection

Ruediger Haertel hae at port.de
Fri Jul 8 04:48:17 EDT 2005

> > > Is this nanddump from latest MTD-CVS ?
> >
> > No. I use the one of the uClinux-dist-20041215. I'll give the one
> > from mtd-cvs a try. Should I use realy the latest snapshot or the
> > one I am using from date 2005.03.03.
>
> Now I used the nanddump from mtd-cvs 2005-03-03. The same result. It
> reads oobsize and oobblock as 0.
>
> I printed the values of the mtd structure during probing and they
> are: oob size: 16, oob block: 512
>
> Seems ok. So I guess my device file is not correct. I am
> using /dev/mtd5,c,90,9.

Stupid me. Of course it was the wrong device file. MTD Devices have an
even minor number (mtd->index*2). The odd minor (mtd->index* 2+1)
number is used for readonly device files. Now I use the device
file /dev/mtd5,c,90,10.

Now I get output from nanddump. But I cannot see the file contents that
I wrote to the DoC.

testfile: "0123456789ABCDEF"

/> nandwrite -p /dev/mtd5 /mnt/testfile
MTD_open
MTD_ioctl
MTD_ioctl
Writing data to block 0
MTD_ioctl
Bad block at 0, 1 block(s) from 0 willM be skipped
Writing dataT to block 4000
D_ioctl
MTD_write
MTD_close

Seems to have worked. However nanddump (I dumped the complete 16 MB)
does not show the file contents on the DoC.
Do I have to format the DoC or do any other preparation? I thought that
was only necessary with the "old" driver.

This is also my next step. Preparing for a filesystem. I think I have to
format it with the ntfl_format tool and then mkfs.jff2. Right?

--

Ruediger Haertel