2.6.10, Sharp chip, incorrect numparts (was: Intel chip)

Olav Kongas ok at artecdesign.ee
Wed Jan 26 06:34:08 EST 2005

Hi,

> My flash chip is lh28f640bfhe-pbtl90, 64M (4Mbit x 16), and
> as Sharp docs say, its model no. is LHF64F12. It has 8
> 4Kword blocks at the beginning of the flash and then 127
> 32Kword blocks. There is just a single flash chip on the
> board.

I took another look at the misconfiguration of Sharp flash
chip in >=2.6.10 kernel. Briefly, the situation is the
following.

The failure to correctly detect the chip occurs in
cfi_intelext_partition_fixup(). In the PRI table of the
chip, the major and minor version numbers are '1' and '3',
and the 32-bit Optional Feature & Command Support field has
bit 9 set. Therefore, the probing for multiple partitions is
tried, and it fails.

The documentation about the abovementioned chip doesn't
contain any information about the chip's PRI table layout.
Also, I haven't been able to find any other documentation
showing Sharp's extensions to the PRI table nor have I found
their interpretation of the bit 9 in Optional Feature field.
Therefore, pointers to such information would be
appreciated.

The "fix" that I use for now is just to avoid partition
probing for sharp chips.

Olav